Photo by Flan and Apple Pie
6-10 lbs whole boneless beef chuck roast
2 bay leaves
Ingredients (meat marinade):
12 dried pasilla chiles
1 ½ tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon oregano
8 garlic cloves peeled
1 large lemon freshly squeezed
1 tablespoon fresh ginger
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- Clean chiles with damp paper towel and remove stems and seeds. If you like a little spice, leave some with seeds. Soak dried chiles in very hot water for 15 minutes or until soft. Reserve juice for later use.
- Blend chiles, salt, oregano, garlic, lemon juice, and ginger oh high setting until smooth. If necessary, add some of the chile broth to get the blender going. Mixture should be the consistency of barbeque sauce. Taste for salt. It should be on the salty side, because this is the only salt that will be used to season the meat.
- Place roast in crockpot and coat well with sauce on both sides. Pour additional sauce over meat. Add 2 cups chile broth, bay leaves, and vinegar to crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours. You will know that the meat is ready when it shreds easily.
- Shred and serve with dinner rolls or with corn tortillas topped with diced onion, fresh cilantro, lime juice, and Tomatillo Salsa with Dry Arbol Chile.