by Vanessa Wiarco (my older sister)
¾ cup olive oil
30 raw shrimp in shell (jumbo shrimp works best)
3 tablespoons butter
6 dry chile negro peppers, stems removed and broken into 2-inch pieces
12 cloves garlic peeled and slightly crushed
Garlic salt with parsley (to taste)
Fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- Clean (do not remove shell or tail) and devein shrimp. Rinse well.
- Butterfly shrimp by slicing partially through lengthwise, then season well with garlic salt and pepper.
- Preheat large shallow pan with olive oil on medium heat.
- Once hot, but not smoking, add garlic and sauté 3-4 minutes stirring constantly to avoid burning. Once garlic becomes soft, move to the outer sides of the pan.
- Add chile negro and sauté for 2 minutes or until softened. Move constantly to avoid burning. If it begins to get crispy, lower heat. Move to outer sides of pan.
- Place shrimp in pan, open side facing down (shell side, facing upward). Add butter to the middle of the pan and allow it to melt outward.
- Cook for approximately 3-5 minutes on each side or until orange and no longer translucent.
- Serve with olive oil used to cook shrimp and pieces of chile negro.