Red Salsa with Tomato and Tomatillo | Salsa Colorada
by Eva Galicia (my cousins’ grandmother)
10 jalapeños or 6 serranos
5 medium tomatillos
2 cloves garlic
½ medium onion diced
½ bunch cilantro diced
1 small can whole tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Boil chile with tomato on high flame for approximately 5 minutes so that it still is partially raw.
- Blend chiles 15 seconds on high setting, then transfer to bowl.
- Blend boiled tomatoes and garlic 15 seconds on medium setting, then transfer to bowl with chiles.
- Blend canned tomatoes with sauce and salt on medium setting, and add to bowl.
- Mix ingredients in bowl by hand, then add onion and cilantro and mix once again.