Squash Blossom Soup | Sopa de Flor de Calabaza
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon onion diced
1 cup raw corn kernels (frozen corn may be substituted if necessary)
2 cups round or green zucchini squash cubed into 1x1x1-inch pieces
4 cups fresh squash blossoms cleaned and stems removed
4 cups chicken broth
Salt (to taste)
Black pepper (to taste)
Oaxaca or string cheese for garnish
Mexican cream (table cream or crème fraîche may be substituted if necessary) for garnish
- Saute onion in butter until translucent on medium flame.
- Add corn and squash and cook over medium flame for 3 minutes. Add the blossoms, reserving 6 for garnish. Stir and cook until corn and zucchini become tender.
- Transfer and blend on high setting with chicken broth for 60 seconds or until pureed.
- Return mixture to pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Allow to cook for an additional 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Strain mixture through a fine-meshed sieve to remove corn fibers.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with one blossom, thin strings of cheese, and cream. Serve hot.