Chicken Enchiladas with Tomatillo Sauce | Enchiladas Verdes
Recipe by Lola
1 whole chicken cooked and shredded (use chicken from Homemade Chicken Broth recipe)
1 whole onion
5 cloves garlic
10 tomatillos husked and rinsed
2 serrano chiles
Salt (to taste)
Water (enough to cover ingredients)
3 cups chicken broth divided
1/2 cup oil
2 cups Mexican cream
1 onion sliced very thinly
1 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- Bring onion, garlic, tomatillos, and chiles to a boil over medium-high heat until soft, but not soggy – approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Drain ingredients and allow them to cool before blending.
- Combine cooked onion, garlic, tomatillos, and chiles with salt and 1 cup chicken broth in a blender. Blend on high setting until smooth.
- Mix sauce with remaining 2 cups chicken broth in a medium sauce pan and simmer on low-medium heat for approximately 30 minutes.
- In a separate frying pan, prepare oil over medium-high heat and allow to get hot.
- In the meantime, warm tortillas on a comal or flat griddle. You may also wrap them in a cotton dish towel and heat them in the microwave for 25 seconds. Warming the tortillas prevents breakage when you lightly fry them in oil.
- Then working one at a time, lightly fry tortilla in the hot oil for 10 seconds on each side. Tortillas should still be soft.
- Immediately dip the tortilla in green tomatillo sauce to coat both sides and then stuff with approximately 2 tablespoons of shredded chicken. Roll tightly as if rolling a taquito. Arrange on individual plates, or side-by-side in a large platter with the seam faced down.
- Serve immediately with Mexican cream, sliced onion, and cotija cheese on top.
4 thoughts on “Chicken Enchiladas with Tomatillo Sauce | Enchiladas Verdes”
Hi sis, I’m making these as we speak, i’ll let you know how they turn out 🙂
I hope they are delicious! Wish I could be there to try them.
I’m confused about step 4. Do I fry the tortillas?
P.S. I just found your blog and I am in loooove!!!
Hi, Philippa! I just looked over the steps and adjusted them a bit so that they made more sense. First you warm the tortillas, then lightly fry them, and finally you coat them in the green salsa and stuff them. The next time I make these, I need to photograph the steps!
I’m glad you like my blog! Please stay in touch and don’t hesitate to ask any questions you may come across in the future.