My great grandma Angie’s beef short rib recipe includes a perfect mix of protein, veggies, and starch – everything necessary for a hearty one-pot meal. All you have to do is add your ingredients to a roasting pan, and let your oven do the work.
With a meal this simple, it’s no wonder this recipe has been passed down four generations. I learned it from my great aunt Stella, who serves the ribs and veggies alongside freshly steamed white rice. Mmmmmm!
Season short ribs generously with salt and pepper.
Place fat-side up in roasting pan before covering and cooking for one hour.
In the meantime, toss vegetables with tomato sauce and season with salt and pepper.
Serve as-is, or alongside freshly steamed white rice.
2 pounds beef short ribs
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
½ cup water
4 carrots peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
3 celery stalks cut into 2-inch pieces (optional)
3 potatoes peeled and quartered
1 tomato sliced
½ onion sliced
2 cloves garlic
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Place in large baking dish, add water, cover, and cook in oven for 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, toss carrots, potatoes, tomato, onion, garlic, and tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add vegetables to meat, cover, and cook 2 more hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Serve directly out of the pot or with white rice.
Note: If you don’t have much time to spend in the kitchen, simply toss everything together in a roasting pan, season, cover, and cook at 250 degrees for four to five hours. When cooked slow and low, these short ribs literally fall off of the bone.