Recipe by Lola
1 whole chicken cooked and shredded (use chicken from Homemade Chicken Broth recipe)
1 whole onion
5 cloves garlic
10 tomatillos husked and rinsed
2 serrano chiles
Salt (to taste)
Water (enough to cover ingredients)
3 cups chicken broth divided
1/2 cup oil
2 cups Mexican cream
1 onion sliced very thinly
1 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- Bring onion, garlic, tomatillos, and chiles to a boil over medium-high heat until soft, but not soggy – approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Drain ingredients and allow them to cool before blending.
- Combine cooked onion, garlic, tomatillos, and chiles with salt and 1 cup chicken broth in a blender. Blend on high setting until smooth.
- Mix sauce with remaining 2 cups chicken broth in a medium sauce pan and simmer on low-medium heat for approximately 30 minutes.
- In a separate frying pan, prepare oil over medium-high heat and allow to get hot.
- In the meantime, warm tortillas on a comal or flat griddle. You may also wrap them in a cotton dish towel and heat them in the microwave for 25 seconds. Warming the tortillas prevents breakage when you lightly fry them in oil.
- Then working one at a time, lightly fry tortilla in the hot oil for 10 seconds on each side. Tortillas should still be soft.
- Immediately dip the tortilla in green tomatillo sauce to coat both sides and then stuff with approximately 2 tablespoons of shredded chicken. Roll tightly as if rolling a taquito. Arrange on individual plates, or side-by-side in a large platter with the seam faced down.
- Serve immediately with Mexican cream, sliced onion, and cotija cheese on top.