Chicken Soup Mexican Style
by Dolores Wiarco (my mother), but originally made by Angelica Facundo, my great grandmother)
5 mixed pieces of chicken with skin
6 carrots peeled and sliced
4 celery sticks sliced into bite size pieces
1 sprig thyme
1 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoons butter
2 medium tomatoes chopped
1 whole onion thinly sliced into ¼-inch rings
2 tablespoons salt
½ tablespoon ground pepper
5 medium size potatoes peeled and quartered
- Fill large pot over half way with water.
- Add chicken to pot with carrots, celery and thyme. Bring to a boil on high flame for about five minutes, then adjust flame to low-medium.
- Warm oil and butter in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, but not smoking, saute onions until translucent.
- Add tomatoes to skillet with onions, and stir constantly so they do not burn.
- Add cooked onions and tomatoes to pot with chicken.
- Add potatoes, salt and pepper. Let cook for about 45 minutes or more on low flame.
- Serve hot. I like to serve mine with warm flour tortillas and butter!