The Three Kings and the Gift of Presence

three-kings-day-disney.jpg

Today’s guest blog post is written by Vanessa Wiarco, by my sister who has traveled extensively throughout Israel and spent last Christmas at the birth site of Jesus Christ in Bethlehem. She is an avid student of history and dreams of spending a year in the Holy Land studying theology.

El Día de los Reyes commemorates an event that took place well over 2,000 years ago when the Three Kings from the east traveled a great distance to visit a newborn child born in Bethlehem. Guided by a bright and shining star, the kings arrived bearing gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. More important than the gifts that were bestowed upon the child, the Three Kings offered the gift of their presence and thereby an acknowledgment that they were paying homage to baby Jesus.

Today, we too have the opportunity to share presents with others during special holidays and commemorative events. But the greatest gift that can be shared today and every day is the gift of presence. It is a gift that is not to be found in a shopping mall, entertainment park, or on technological gizmos and gadgets. It’s a gift that has no price tag and can be shared with others through a kind thought, word, or action. Three Kings’ Day is not just a celebrated story of the past. It depicts a way of life that we can choose to live today and every day if we embrace the spirit of what it represents through our conscious presence with others.

Photo: Rick West

Categories: Uncategorized

7 Comments on “The Three Kings and the Gift of Presence”

1. January 6, 2017 at 6:32 pm #

Wonderful thought! I totally agree. Nothing can replace the presence of special people in your life.

• January 20, 2017 at 1:59 pm #

Agreed. This year I’ve made it a point to stay off of social media when once I get into bed or when I’m spending quality time with family.

2. Teresa acosta
    January 7, 2017 at 10:31 am #

Thank you!   I enjoyed this alot.  Too bad you guys couldn’t be here.   Will see you in a couple of weeks. Love Aunt Teresa

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

• January 20, 2017 at 1:59 pm #

Can’t wait to see you. Wish I could have been at the Three Kings’ party!

3. January 11, 2017 at 12:28 pm #

Nice post and great imagine !
    About Three Kings: I invite for my post about that celebration in Spain:

• January 20, 2017 at 2:00 pm #

Thank you for sharing.

• January 23, 2017 at 5:10 am #

I am welcome 🙂 And if you like travels I invite to follow my blog.

COMMENTS

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s