Recipe by Lola
1 whole chicken in pieces
2 celery stalks with leaves
1 carrot peeled and halved
1 onion peeled and halved
5 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon peppercorns (or ground pepper)
Water (enough to cover chicken)
Salt (to taste)
- Add chicken, celery, carrot, onion, garlic, peppercorns, and salt to a large stock pot.
- Add enough water to cover ingredients with an additional 2 inches of water.
- Bring water to a boil over high heat for ten minutes. Add salt and mix well.
- Adjust to low-medium heat, and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes or until chicken is well cooked.
- Remove chicken and strain ingredients through a fine-mesh sieve. Reserve chicken for another recipe.
- Store and refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Note: I like to measure my broth out, 2 cups at a time and store in heavy-duty freezer bags. Broth can be frozen for up to 3 months. When ready to use, simply remove from freezer and thaw.