{TRES DEL MES} 3 Essential Mexican Kitchen Tools

7-mexican-cooking-utensils

My cocina is home to an array of cooking tools, accessories, and appliances — a “woman cave” of sorts. It includes everything from a traditional molcajete and olla de barro to a modern mixer and heavy duty commercial blender. Of course I have my favorites, and I’d say that my blender and a good knife are among them, but today I’m focusing on my favorite Mexican kitchen tools. These are the three utensils that I use with the most frequency and simply cannot live without. They’re indispensable to the success of the meals that I prepare and also make unique gifts for friends and family who enjoy Mexican cooking.

6-mexican cooking utensils

Comal
A comal is a thin, round cast iron griddle with a small rim around the edge. It’s primarily used for heating tortillas and toasting spices and vegetables – especially chiles. In Oaxaca, Mexico many people continue to use traditional clay comales, which have to be replaced more frequently because they are more fragile and can crack or chip over time. They come in a variety of sizes and shapes, and I prefer a 10” round cast iron comal, which is perfect for heating both corn and flour tortillas.

2-cast-iron-comal

Wooden Spatula
The second kitchen tool that I use on a daily basis is my wooden spatula. I also really like my large wooden spoons, ladles, and molinillo (wooden whisk), but my spatulas get the most use. I love them for scraping the bottom of pans when sautéing vegetables and browning rice. Wooden cooking utensils have been used for centuries throughout Mexico because of their durability. They’re also very pretty and rustic!

8-wooden-spatulas

4-mexican-wooden-utensils

Lime Squeezer
When it comes to citrus squeezers I have a slight obsession. I have an electric citrus juicer, a manual one with a slot machine-like handle from Mexico, and five small hand-held squeezers. Yes, five. They range in size and are usually made out of cast aluminum, although I have also seen plastic versions, which are not as durable. While you can use any citrus juicer for lemons, grapefruits, oranges, and large limes, I have found that only the handheld ones from Mexico work for extracting the juice from small Mexican and Key limes.

5-mexican-lime-juicer

What are some of your favorite kitchen tools or appliances?

Tags:

Categories: TRES DEL MES, Updates from Lola's Cocina

6 Comments on “{TRES DEL MES} 3 Essential Mexican Kitchen Tools”

1. Teresa
    March 7, 2016 at 10:12 am #

Where can I find a comal like these here in the States on the East coast?

• March 7, 2016 at 10:27 am #

¡Hola! I got mine in Mexico, but I’ve seen similar ones at my local Mexican grocery stores in Denver, Colorado. I also got a cool one at Costco. It’s a little bigger and heavier duty and is flat on one side and has a grilling griddle on the other side, which is nice for meat and vegetables.

I’m not sure what your store options are on the east coast, but if you can’t find anything locally you can always search online at Mex Grocer. They have a pretty big selection of Mexican cooking tools (http://www.mexgrocer.com/). Hope this helps! If you don’t find anything, let me know and I can keep an eye out when I’m in Mexico over the summer and ship one to you.

2. March 8, 2016 at 7:34 pm #

Hi Lola! What a fantastic post. I love the part about the “woman cave,” hehe. 😂😂 That’s definitely what my kitchen is. I’d have to say that my comal and blender are the workhorses of my Mexican kitchen, but I adore wooden utensils, too. Every time Roberto visits Mexico, he brings back some new wooden utensils for me. My favorite is this mini wooden spatula. Believe it or not I use it for everything. It’s Amado-sized. ❤️

• March 15, 2016 at 3:58 pm #

What? I need one! Put that on Roberto’s list of things to bring back for me when he goes on his next trip. I have everything mini — EXCEPT a spatula.

3. Trisha Austin
    April 5, 2016 at 4:48 pm #

This is just gorgeous! I love to use those Wooden Spatula. 🙂

• April 5, 2016 at 11:42 pm #

Thank you, Trisha! Yes, I love all of my wooden utensils but my spatula is definitely teacher’s pet.

COMMENTS

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s