1 medium red potato peeled and sliced into thin triangles
¼ onion minced
¾ cup oil divided
½ tomato diced
1 serrano chile diced
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
- Peel and fry potato with onion in 3 tablespoons oil on medium-high heat for 7 or until well cooked. Be sure to move occasionally to avoid burning. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Whisk eggs in large mixing bowl. Add onion, tomato, chile and mix well. Fold in potato and onion.
- In a small non-stick frying pan (no more than 6 inches in diamater), add remaining oil and heat until very hot, but not smoking. Test by adding a small amount of egg batter to oil and make sure it fries up immediately.
- Once hot, pour in egg mixture allow to cook until edges become firm. Using a spatula, carefully lift one side of cooked egg and tilt pan to allow wet egg mixture to drain under, into the hot oil. Repeat process until there is only a minimal amount of wet egg on top. Bottom should be thoroughly cooked and lightly browned.
- Carefully slide tortilla onto a large flat plate, then cover with an identical plate and flip it upside down so that the wet side is now facing down. Slide tortilla back into the pan and cook until lightly browned on bottom. Add more oil before sliding egg back into pan if necessary.
- Serve hot and slice into triangles. Tortilla should be about 1 inch thick.